A reader writes:
And Joseph, are you just being facetious with this post and attack on Villaraigosa due to his not attending Holy Mass lately? // And the the photo of Tony V with the Israeli flag waving behind him? What are you really trying to say here? // ... And then your bullet point about Mayor Tony spending too much time with the Chinese and Mexicans and not enough with the "more enlightened and civilized" Europeans? // Joseph, I must say that has a slightly ethnocentric ring to it.
Since the reader thinks I might be being facetious, or even too "ethnocentric" because I express cares for Catholics and Europeans as well as for Jews and Latinos, let me be even more direct about what I'm saying:
- The Los Angeles Times denied democracy to the people of Los Angeles by stating that considering candidates other than Antonio Villaraigosa "veers towards pointlessness" and following up with little interest in a Mayoral election.
- Antonio Villaraigosa has not serviced the interest of Jews so much as shamelessly pandered to them. A real friend to a community does not show up to that community on the condition that cameras are rolling and issue press releases later.
- Antonio Villaraigosa declares he is a Catholic, but he has not practiced Catholicism at all during the second half of his mayoralty, nor even declared a pastor, something Americans are typically interested in--though he has lied repeatedly about his marital status.
- Europeans recognize this is a city in decline, which is why they keep sending progressively more junior staffers to consulates here.
- The most glaring indictment of Antonio Villaraigosa and "ethnic" relations occured last year, when our own State Department closed the Foreign Press Office here, formerly servicing the world, and the Mayor moved not one whit to try to save it.